How to Make Homemade Face Serum with Essential Oils
- How to Make Homemade Face Serum with Essential Oils
- How to Save Money on your Face Serum
- Rose Quartz Facial Roller for wrinkles and fine lines + maximize absorption of your face serum
- Supplies for your DIY Face Serum
- Essential Oil Recommendations for your DIY Serum
- Extras that your skin will love
- Fruit Facial Recipes You May Love to Use With Your Face Serum
- Directions for your DIY Face Oil Serum
- DIY Face Serum with Essential Oils
This super fast and easy DIY Face Serum recipe is an easy and cost effective way to treat your skin to nourishing essential oils. Take your skin care routine to the next level with your very own customized homemade essential oil beauty face serum.
Use essential oils in your custom homemade face serum to benefit your specific skin type. Whether you have dry skin, acne prone skin, sensitive skin, need anti aging wrinkle prevention or have normal skin you can use this homemade beauty serum.
Learn how to make your own DIY Face Serum in just minutes with essential oils that will give you beautiful, glowing skin.
How to Save Money on your Face Serum
I cringe at the though of paying upwards of $50 – $100 for a high quality facial serum. This DIY facial serum works the same or better, lasts longer, and costs significantly less.
There are only 2 steps to make this homemade face serum. Super simple. And you’re going to save a ton of money with homemade serum! No need to spend your hard earned money on pricey bottles with fancy ingredients from a department store.
The essential oils you will be adding to your diy facial serum will cost only a few cents per drop. Yes, there are a few oils that cost a bit more than others, but what’s nice is you can choose which essential oils to use. This makes it easy to use oils that fit your budget.
Please note that I may receive commissions when you click my links and make purchases. This doesn’t affect your price in any way and helps offset the cost of running this website.
Rose Quartz Facial Roller for wrinkles and fine lines + maximize absorption of your face serum
One tool I highly recommend you add to your daily face routine is one of these Rose Quartz facial rollers! I’ve been using it and am obsessed!
Use the roller to help relax facial muscles and relieve fine lines and wrinkles.
What are the benefits of the Jade Roller & Gua Sha?*
- The face roller stimulates the lymphatic system and blood circulation.
- Help maximize the absorption of the facial oil, serum, cream or moisturizer.
- Reduce puffiness of the skin, relieve the appearance of under-eye circles.
- The eye roller will brighten complexion, tighten pores and help reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Help you to relax and calm the muscle tension.
*As described on the Amazon listing
Check the price here– they cost much less than I expected! It was under $20 the last time I checked and there was a clickable coupon you can apply.
Supplies for your DIY Face Serum
You only need 3 items to make this DIY Face Serum.
The carrier oil is generally inexpensive as well, and can be used for other DIY projects.
All together, depending on the essential oils you use, this serum will likely cost under $10.
Another benefit is that I know exactly what I am putting on my skin.
There are no unnecessary fillers, synthetic ingredients, or preservatives that are not good for us.
First, you’ll need a 2 oz dropper bottle.Whatever your taste.
I always order mine from Amazon.Fast and easy with Amazon prime.
By the way, did you know that If you don’t have an Amazon Prime account you can pick up a 30 day trial here to take advantage of the free shipping!
You can go GLAM with these beautiful gold and amber dropper bottles. Check to see if the 4 pack is available.
You can also pick these up in frosted white which are just as pretty.
You can get blue dropper bottles if these are more to your liking.
2.Carrier Oil for your Facial Serum
You’ll need a good quality carrier oil for your DIY facial serum.Since this is going to be used on your face, you don’t want to skimp and use a cheap carrier oil.
You’ll want to get the best carrier oil you can. It’s also important to choose the right carrier oil for your skin type.
While many people automatically reach for Fractionated Coconut Oil in their essential oil DIY Beauty Skin care projects,I do not recommend making your DIY Face Serum with coconut oil because coconut oil l can can clog pores. This is obviously not what we want in our skincare, especially if you have acne or oily skin.
This is the Jojoba Oil that I buy, and I get it on Amazon. Click Here to Buy Yours
I’ve been using Argan Oil for my facial Serum and I have extremely dry skin. This is what I’ve been using.
This is the Argan Oil that I buy and use regularly.
Oily or Acne Prone Skin
For more help on choosing a carrier oil for your skin type, you may want to read this blog post on carrier oils and their uses
It is totally fine, and beneficial even, to combine carrier oils! Experiment and find out what your skin loves the most.
Be sure to avoid nut based oils if you have a nut allergy.
A few words of caution
First, please be sure you are using a high quality essential oil, and not an inexpensive fragrance oil from the drugstore.
Second, be wary of ordering on Amazon because most of these have been tampered with. If you’ve ordered from there and your oil has smelled or looked “off”, then you’ve experienced this. These can damage your skin because you don’t know what’s in them.
They are frequently diluted with low cost coconut oil which, as I mentioned above, clogs pores.
essential oils I trust to use with my skin and my family are doTERRA essential oils because of their purity, testing standards, and commitment to sustainable practices.
There are many choices when it comes to the essential oils to use in your DIY facial serum. You can customize this serum to your skin’s specific needs.
You may need acne fighting essential oils like Tea Tree, or perhaps you need anti-aging oils to fight those inevitable wrinkles, or like me, maybe you need moisturizing hydration.
I have extremely dry skin, and I live in the desert with about 8% humidity, so I really need to give my skin extra hydration PLUS I need some help with anti-aging.
And let’s be honest. At my age, I need all the anti-aging wrinkle fighting help I can get. So I chose some specific oils to help with those needs, like Blue Tansy.
Go with what your skin needs. I’ve got some more specific recommendations for different skin types below.
You can use as few as 1 or 2 essential oils in this, or as many as you like. Use what you have. There is no need to run out and buy a bunch of essential oils in order to make this.
These are general recommendations for all skin types
If you’re not sure where to start, Lavender and Frankincense would be good choices.
- Frankincense I consider this one a must in this recipe) – It has been used since the time of ancient Egyptians and Biblical times. They knew even thousands of years ago the amazing benefits of Frankincense.
- Blue Tansy – This essential oil is popular in many commercial beauty creams, lotions, and serums because it is full of calming, soothing benefits for our skin. It’s packed with anti oxidants and can calm inflammation and reduce redness, and can benefit many skin types including dry, irritated skin and acne. Blue Tansy is very popular in many commercial skin products these days – it is one of the pricier oils. However you’ll get MANY uses out of that bottle and it will still cost you significantly less than buying that serum bottle from the store.
- Lavender is one of the most popular essential oils of all time and with good reason. It has incredible benefits for the skin. It can help reduce redness, blotchy patches and reduce acne. It has anti-inflammatory properties that help your skin heal from irritations, sun burn, insect bites, or bacteria. It can also help detoxify the skin, heal, soothe, and prevent wrinkles. It’s a superstar!
- Helichrysum – This is a beautiful healing oil that is great for inflammation, cell regeneration, and can help diminish scars. It is called “The Everlasting Flower” because of its ant-aging rejuvenating benefits for the skin and ability to improve the complexion.
- Yarrow | Pom – This is so wonderful for skin all on it’s own that many people will slather this all over their face to reap the benefits. It has a beautiful blue tint to it that may turn the skin a bit blue at first, but will go away in a few minutes.
- Geranium – Geranium essential oil has fantastic benefits for the skin. It can help with acne breakouts, wrinkles, skin irritations, and skin infections. But if you love the smell, I highly recommend adding this one.
- Tea Tree – Tea Tree essential oil especially good for acne prone or oily skin. Check out Melaleuca on her list of beauty must haves in Allure Magazine. It is naturally cleansing and purifying and will help fight acne causing bacteria.
- Copaiba – Copaiba essential oil is widely used in cosmetic products including soaps, creams, lotions, and perfumes. It is high in beta-caryophyllene which has been studied for its affects on skin.
- Roman Chamomile – Roman Chamomile essential oil is wonderfully moisturizing for great for dry skin.
- Wild Orange – Wild Orange essential oil has lots of anti-oxidants and is packed with vitamin C, which your skin will love. And you will fall in love with the smell! Use Caution with Citrus Essential Oils. Most citrus essential oils are photosensitive, so you do not want to apply this to your skin before going out in the sun. You can get a nasty sunburn.
Extras that your skin will love
You can also add a few extras that your skin will thank you for. These aren’t necessary but will really add some extra nourishment that you will notice.
Vitamin E oil is a natural anti-oxidant to help protect your skin from free radical damage. Helps nourish and Hydrate. I added a few drops to my serum to help with hydration for my dry skin. I love this Organic Vitamin E Oil from Amazon.
Rosehip Oil – Can help smooth skin and appearance of scars by tightening the skin, keeps skin hydrated, and is rich in omegas to help with anti-aging. This is the one that I have used and like it.
Fruit Facial Recipes You May Love to Use With Your Face Serum
Before Using Your homemade face serum, I recommend indulging in one of these fruit facial recipes that are so natural you could eat them! Your skin will love the nourishing ingredients. Follow up your Natural Fresh Fruit Facial with your DIY Face Serum to lock in the vitamins and nutrients, and continue the healing benefits.
If you love this recipe, please click on the 5 stars and share it!
DIY Face Serum with Essential Oils
- Add your essential oils to your bottle
- Optional: Add a few drops each of Vitamin E Oil
- Optional: Add a few drops of Rosehip Oil
- Top off the bottle with carrier oil. Be sure to leave enough room to add your dropper to the bottle Don't want it to overflow and lose your precious essenial oils.
- Add your dropper to the bottle
- Gently shake to mix all the ingredients together.
Using your DIY Facial Serum
Once you have made your DIY homemade face serum, you will want to apply it after washing your face, and before applying your moisturizer.
I always like to give it a gentle shake before using to make sure everything is mixed.
- Wash your face with your all natural cleanser of choice.
- Add a few drops of the facial serum to your clean hands and smooth gently over your face and neck. Take care not to rub too hard as this is not good for your skin. Be sure to do this right away after washing your face while it is still damp.
- Gently apply your all natural facial moisturizer once the Serum has had time to soak in.
Have fun making your own DIY facial serum, and experiment to see what works best for your skin. You may find that certain essential oils work better than others.
I would love to hear how you made your own serum and what works for you!
Leave a comment on this post and let me know!