I use affiliate links in this article. If you click a link and make a purchase, I may earn a small commission which goes towards the cost of running this website. Your price is not affected.
Benefits of Using a Hot Oil Treatment on Your Hair
Hot oil treatments are used to treat damaged or dry hair. They help to seal the cuticle of the hair shaft, making it easier for moisture to penetrate the hair. The heat also opens up the pores so that nutrients can enter more easily.
Using a hot oil treatment on your hair help infuse the hair follicles with moisture. It is like a supercharged conditioner treatment for your hair. The heat helps all the nourishing ingredients get into the hair shaft and packs in the moisture.
Essential Oils You Can Add to Your Hot Oil Hair Treatment
The essential oils help heal and protect the hair, and can even help it grow. Peppermint and Rosemary essential oils help improve circulation and reduce inflammation. This helps prevent the hair from falling out. These essential oils are also known to help prevent dry, itchy scalp and those annoying white flakes.
How long does a hot oil treatment last?
A hot oil treatment lasts about 2-3 weeks before needing another application. You should always apply a hot oil treatment every 4 – 6 weeks depending on how often you wash your hair.
How to Make a Hot Oil Treatment for Your Hair
DIY Hot Oil Treatment with Essential Oils
- In a medium saucepan, bring 1–2 cups of water to a boil.
- Reduce to low heat and keep water on a simmer.
- Place all ingredients except essential oils in a heat-proof bowl and place in the pot of simmering water.Let the oil heat up and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Remove oil from heat. You want the oil nice and warm, but not boiling hot.
- Add your essential oils.
- Make sure to cover your shoulders with a towel before the next step.In case of oil staining. Or throw on an old t-shirt that you don’t care about.
- Dip your fingertips into the oil and gently massage the oil from scalp to the ends.
- When all the oil is used, cover your hair with a shower cap. For best results, add a hot damp towel over the shower cap.Leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Shampoo your hair.You may need to shampoo your hair twice; using a conditioner is optional.
More Essential Oil Hair Care DIY Recipes
Here are more hair care DIY recipes using natural ingredients and your essential oils.
Keep your hair looking and feeling it’s best without toxic ingredients that wreak havoc on your hormones, skin and hair.
Before You Go, See What’s New On The Blog
- DIY Massage Oil with Essential Oil for Valentines Day
- Best Essential Oil Storage Ideas – How and Where to Store your Oils
- Benefits and 30 Ways to Use Frankincense Essential oil
- 10 Best Essential Oil Hair Care DIY Recipes for natural, healthy hair
- Essential Oil Hair Growth Serum Recipe
- 10 Warm and Spicy Cassia Essential Oil Diffuser Blends and DIY Recipes