- Where Frankincense essential oil comes from
- Benefits of Frankincense
- How Frankincense Essential Oil can benefit Emotions
- Frankincense Diffuser Blends
- Frankincense Essential Oil Recipes for Roller Bottles
- Frankincense Room Spray Recipes
- Frankincense Veggie Cap Recipes
- 31 Ways to Use Frankincense
- Related: More Essential Oil Spotlight Articles
Frankincense essential oil is one of the most popular essential oils in the world. It has been used for thousands of years for its various benefits, and has been used in spiritual practices, religious rituals and religious ceremonies all the way back to ancient times.
Sacred frankincense was used all the way back in ancient Egypt in their mummification process as perfume, and of course, the Bible mentions it.
Pin for later
Frankincense essential oil is known as the King of Essential Oils due to it’s powerful health benefits. It has a woody aroma and somewhat earthy scent. I love the scent of frankincense!
Frankincense a.k.a the king of oils, can be used on it’s own or can enhance any other oil when combined. Just a few drops of the oil has the effect of amplifying an essential oil when combined. The effect of frankincense is very powerful.
Frankincense is making a comeback in traditional medication and has many practical benefits for both the spirit, mind, and body.
If you are under a doctor’s care for any medical condition, be sure to let him or her know you are planning on adding it to your daily use and follow their medical advice. It is a good idea to watch for adverse reactions and let your doctor know.
This article discusses the many benefits of Frankincense essential oil, and gives you several ideas of how to use the oil, plus diffuser blend recipes, spray recipes, veggie cap recipes, and more.
Where Frankincense essential oil comes from
Frankincense essential oil comes from the resin of specific Boswellia Sacra trees.
doTERRA Frankincense is actually a blend of 4 different tree species: Boswellia carterii, Boswellia frereana, Boswellia papyrifera, and Boswellia sacra. These trees are found in the middle east and north africa.
Pin for later
The essential oil comes from the steam distillation of the tears (hardened resin of frankincense trees).
doTERRA has worked hard to ensure their Frankincense is harvested sustainably so that the Frankincense trees are here for many many years.
doTERRA also helps the Frankincense farmers by cutting out the very often crooked middlemen. They help the farmers ensure they are successful and give them an honest wage so they can have a better life.
Benefits of Frankincense
Frankincense is commonly used in aromatherapy practice for it’s many benefits and comforting properties.
It has antiseptic properties, can help with anxious feelings, is a popular ingredient in cosmetic products for it’s skin care benefits.
Frankincense oil can be used to help with digestion for gut health and as an antiseptic to soothe wounds or skin irritations.
Frankincense can help benefit and support inflammation. You can read more on this topic at this article on a study done on it’s benefits for inflammation.
It can also be used as a sedative to relieve stress or anxious feelings, and can boost your mood when you are feeling down. Just put a few drops of frankincense in the palm of your hand and inhale the scent to lift your spirit
Frankincense is also wonderful for our skin and benefits all skin types. It is fabulous in face serums and a favorite essential oil for anti-aging. .
How Frankincense Essential Oil can benefit Emotions
Frankincense is known as the oil of Knowing Truth.
Pin for later
Frankincense can help you reveal deceptions and let go of them to base life on light and truth.
Frankincense invites individuals to let go of lower vibrations, lies, deceptions, and negativity. This oil helps create new perspectives based on light and truth. Frankincense recalls to memory spiritual understanding, gifts, wisdom, and knowledge that the soul brought into the world.
Frankincense can help you conquer the negative emotions of:
Frankincense can help you become:
Frankincense Diffuser Blends
Frankincense is wonderful in an essential oil diffuser. Aromatic Use is one of the best ways to get the emotional benefits of this oil.
Whether you are a yoga enthusiast or a morning meditator, diffusing Frankincense essential oil during these practices supports you in focusing your intention for the day.
Frankincense oil will also help bring added satisfaction, peace, relaxation, and even feelings of overall wellness to your morning routine.
With its strong aromatic properties, Frankincense oil is essential in giving a positive and focused lift to the rest of your day.
Here are a few Frankincense Essential Oil Diffuser recipes you can try. You can experiment and come up with your own.
Add the drops of frankincense oil along with the other essential oils into your diffuser, then fill your diffuser with water up to the fill line. Make sure you are using pure essential oils and not fragrance oils for best results.
Pin for later
Frankincense Essential Oil Recipes for Roller Bottles
Using an essential oil roller is a form of topical application. External use is perfect for targeted application of oils because it lets you get the oils exactly where they need to be.
Be sure to dilute all essential oils before topical use in order to avoid skin sensitivity.
Quick directions to make a roller:
- Add the drops of essential oil to an empty roller glass bottle
- Top up the bottle with your favorite carrier oil such as fractionated coconut oil or jojoba oil
- pop the roller onto the bottle. Be sure to push firmly until you’re confident it’s all the way on. You don’t want leaks!
- Gently shake the roller a few times to incorporate all the ingredients.
- Roll on to pulse points, down your spine, or on the bottoms of your feet.
Frankincense Room Spray Recipes
These Frankincense essential oil room spray recipes are another great way to get the aromatic benefits of Frankincense.
Quick directions to make a Room Spray:
- Add the drops of essential oil to an empty 2 oz glass spray bottle
- Top up the bottle with witch hazel, vodka or distill water (tap will work in a pinch)
- Add the sprayer
- Gently shake to incorporate all the ingredients
- Mist the rooms in your home with your new spray
Frankincense Veggie Cap Recipes
Be sure use a therapeutic grade essential oil whenever using essential oils internally.
Quick directions to make a Veggie Cap:
- Add the drops of essential oil to one half of an empty veggie cap.
- Optional: Add a couple drops of MCT oil or even olive oil to prevent oil tasting burps
- Place the other half of the veggie cap on
- Swallow the veggie cap with water.
31 Ways to Use Frankincense
Here is a list of 31 ways you can incorporate Frankincense into your daily routine. Try a new way each day of the month.
1. Add 1-2 drops under the tongue am / pm
2. Inhale during prayer or meditation
3. Apply to scars or dark spots to reduce appearance
4. Add a drop to facial lotion 14. Combine with Myrrh for glowing skin
5. Apply to big toe with Vetiver before bed 15. Take 2 drops each with Peppermint & Lemon in honey for irritated throat or cough
6. Apply over the system support forehead & back of neck for brain boost 16. Mix with Tea Tree to cleanse owies
7. Apply with Peppermint to the roof of the mouth for head tension
8. Apply with lotion around eyes to reduce fine lines
9. Apply over the heart during anxious moments
10. Roll down the spine to boost the immune system
11. Diffuse with citrus for mental fatigue
12. Apply to minor burns and scrapes
13. Apply to breasts with Pink Pepper daily for cell support
14. Combine with Myrrh for glowing skin
15. Take 2 drops each with Peppermint & Lemon in honey for irritated throat or cough
16. Mix with Tea Tree to cleanse owies
17. Mix with Breathe on the bottom of feet to support clear breathing
18. Add to veggie cap with Turmeric for brain support
19. Add a drop to pet food for immune boost
20. Add 4 drops to 3 cups Epsom salts plus 5 drops Lavender for a calming detox bath
21. Diffuse 2 drops with Peace to diffuse anger
22. Rub over the neck to reduce tension
23. Massage down the spine with Lavender to calm the senses
24. Take in a veggie cap with Oregano & Lemon to boost immune system
25. Take 2 drops each with Copaiba under the tongue for nervous
26. Use with coconut oil for chapped lips
27. Mix with Lavender & apply around ears to soothe discomforts
28. Layer over Deep Blue and warm compress to soothe tense muscles or achy joints
29. Apply over blemishes 10. Roll down the spine to boost the immune system
30. Diffuse during yoga
31. Layer over oils to amplify the benefits
Where to buy Frankincense Essential Oil
We are a doTERRA Certified shop. Shop Confidently!
Related: More Essential Oil Spotlight Articles
More ways to use essential oil articles you may enjoy
Before You Go, See What’s New On The Blog
- 8 Best Essential Oils for Stress Relief & Relaxation
- Simple Homemade Lavender Rosemary Infused DIY Soap Recipe
- How to get started with Meditation
- Best Essential Oils for Meditation, Diffuser Blends & Recipes
- Balancing Chakras with Essential Oils
- 5 Essential Oil Roller Bottle Blend Recipes for Calming and Relaxation