- History of Lemongrass
- Emotional and Spiritual Benefits of Lemongrass Oil
- Health Benefits of Lemongrass Essential Oil
- How to Use Lemongrass Essential Oil
- Lemongrass rollerball recipes
- Lemongrass Veggie Cap Recipes
- Food Recipes with Lemongrass essential Oil
- lemongrass diffuser blends and sprays
- 30 Ways to Use Lemongrass Essential Oil
- Where to buy Lemongrass Essential Oil
- Related: More Essential Oil Benefits and Uses articles:
History of Lemongrass
Lemongrass essential oil has been used for thousands of years in traditional medicine and cuisine throughout Southeast Asia, India, and Africa. It is derived from the leaves and stems of the lemongrass plant, also known as Cymbopogon citratus.
Historically, lemongrass essential oil was used for its antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, and as a natural remedy for fever, coughs, and colds. It was also used in traditional Ayurvedic medicine as a treatment for digestive issues, insomnia, and stress.
In the 17th century, lemongrass was introduced to the West by explorers and traders, and its popularity grew as a flavoring agent in food and beverages.
Lemongrass is a common ingredient in Asian cuisine and widely used in the food industry. It adds a citrusy flavor to dishes.
The essential oil also became widely used in aromatherapy, due to its refreshing and uplifting citrusy scent.
Today, lemongrass essential oil is used in a variety of products, including soaps, perfumes, and skin care products.
It is also commonly used in diffusers and massage oils for its therapeutic benefits, including its ability to relieve stress and tension, improve digestion, and boost immunity, and for it’s pleasing citrus scent.
Pin for later
The botanical name of lemongrass is Cymbopogon flexuosus. It is sourced from southern India by family farmers.
Please note I am not a doctor and cannot provide medical advice. Please consult a qualified healthcare practitioner for medical advice.
Emotional and Spiritual Benefits of Lemongrass Oil
Lemongrass essential oil is known as the oil of energy cleansing and can help you to cleanse negative energies and enter a state of healing.
Lemongrass can help you become:
Lemongrass can help you conquer the negative feelings of:
- toxic energy
Pin for later
Health Benefits of Lemongrass Essential Oil
It has Anti-inflammatory properties, Antimicrobial properties, Antioxidant Effects, and can support a variety of health problems. Be sure to talk to your health care provide when adding this to your routine.
Lemongrass essential oil is rich in antioxidants, which protect your body from the harmful effects of free radicals. These antioxidants can help prevent various diseases and maintain overall health.
So, adding lemongrass essential oil to your daily routine could help you maintain a strong immune system and stay disease-free. You can find more information about the antioxidant properties of lemongrass essential oil here.
Inflammation can be a significant cause of pain and discomfort. The anti-inflammatory benefits of lemongrass essential oil result from its quercetin content, a flavonoid known to reduce inflammation.
Using lemongrass oil can help alleviate pain and discomfort from inflammation.
Muscle Pain relief
Combine a few drops of essential oil with carrier oil like fractionated coconut oil and use as a massage oil for sore joints and muscles, especially after working out.
If you struggle with digestive problems, Lemongrass is an essential oil that has been known to provide numerous benefits for digestion.
It contains a compound called citral, which has been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties that can soothe digestive discomfort and reduce inflammation in the gut.
Additionally, lemongrass oil can help to stimulate the digestive system, promoting healthy digestion and reducing bloating and gas. It may also help to prevent the growth of harmful bacteria in the gut, which can lead to digestive issues. Overall, lemongrass essential oil is a natural and effective way to support a healthy digestive system.
Aldehydes are a group of organic compounds that are found in essential oils and have been shown to offer benefits for digestion. For instance, aldehydes like citral and cinnamaldehyde can help to stimulate the production of digestive enzymes, which break down food in the stomach and small intestine.
This can improve the absorption of nutrients and reduce the risk of digestive issues like bloating, gas, and constipation.
Additionally, some aldehydes have antimicrobial properties, which means they can help to eliminate harmful bacteria in the gut that can lead to digestive discomfort. When used in moderation and under proper guidance, aldehydes present in essential oils can be a natural and effective way to support healthy digestion.
The following is from doTERRA:
Did you know that Lemongrass essential oil can help support healthy digestion when taken internally?*
The chemical makeup of Lemongrass includes aldehydes, which are known for their ability to maintain healthy gastrointestinal function when ingested.*
To reap these benefits, add a few drops of Lemongrass oil to your food or beverages to add flavor and provide dietary support. You can also place a few drops in a doTERRA Veggie Capsule to promote healthy digestive function.*
You can even combine Lemongrass oil with Peppermint oil in a capsule to support healthy gastrointestinal function and maintain healthy digestion.*
How to Use Lemongrass Essential Oil
There are three main ways to use essential oils and that applies to Lemongrass oil.
Aromatic use (receiving the benefits by smelling the oil). This usually mean using a diffuser
Topical Use – apply the oils directly to your skin
Oral Use – consume the essential oil.
Following are different ways you can get the benefits of Lemongrass essential oil using each of the three main methods:
Lemongrass rollerball recipes
Be sure to try a small patch test on your skin to ensure you won’t have a negative reaction. I always recommend using high quality therapeutic grade essential oil and never fragrance oil.
Here are some easy roller recipes you can make and use.
How to make a roller:
- add the drops of essential oils to an empty roller
- Top up the roller with fractionated coconut oil or other carrier oil
- pop in the roller and gently shake to combine everything.
Lemongrass Veggie Cap Recipes
You always want to make sure the oil is safe to consume and not a fragrance oil. You should see a supplement facts label on the bottle if it is safe to consume.
Food Recipes with Lemongrass essential Oil
Thai Chicken Recipe using lemongrass oil
Red Lentil Soup with Lemongrass essential oil
lemongrass diffuser blends and sprays
Lemongrass Reusable dryer Sheets
- Cut Old T shirts into 24 4-inch squares.
- Please into a glass container.
- Add 10 drops Lavender and 10 drops Lemongrass essential oil
- Add 1 cup White Vinegar.
- Swirl to cover all the fabric squares.
- Toss 1 into the dryer with your clothes.
Lemongrass essential oil diffuser blends
To get the aromatic benefits of lemongrass, it’s simple to diffuse lemongrass oil. It has a wonderful refreshing aroma! Be sure to use only pure essential oils.
Here are a few diffuser blends you can try:
Pin for later
30 Ways to Use Lemongrass Essential Oil
Here’s a list of 30 ways to use Lemongrass essential oil.
This gives you a new way to try it each day for a month!
- Combine equal parts with AromaTouch and FCO for a massage after a hard workout.
- Use to flavor entrées and meat dishes while promoting healthy digestion.
- Dilute oil, then rub or spritz on skin before going outside to naturally repel insects.
- Support healthy digestion by taking 2 drops in a capsule.
- Diffuse to overpower feelings of nervousness.
- Place 1 drop in the palm of your hand, rub together, and inhale deeply for up to 30
- seconds to experience aromatic benefits.
- Diffuse indoors or outside on your porch or patio to keep away mosquitos and other bugs.
- Apply the diluted oil to muscles and joints for a soothing sensation that makes for a tranquil massage.
- Dilute and apply topically after a workout to soothe the body.
- Add a few drops to your daily cleanser or moisturizer to help tone and purify skin.
- Combine with Tea Tree and apply to fingernails or toenails for clean, healthy looking nails.
- Diffuse to promote a positive outlook.
- Combine with FCO and massage onto areas of concern to soothe sore joints.
- Add 1 drop to water to aid in digestion.
- Take 1 drop internally daily to help maintain healthy cholesterol.
- Mix with equal parts carrier oil and apply topically over kidneys and lower back to promote bladder, kidney and urinary health.
- Combine with Peppermint oil in a capsule to support healthy gastrointestinal function and help maintain healthy digestion.
- Try diffusing at your desk to help promote a positive outlook and heighten your awareness.
- Place a drop in a veggie capsule and swallow for digestive support.
- Mix 2 drops with deep blue rub and massage to reduce muscle tension.
- Dilute and apply topically to help promote healthy circulation.
- Add 1 drop to your shampoo to help promote a healthy scalp.
- Dilute and mix with Helichrysum and Cypress and apply to varicose veins.
- Take 1 drop internally to boost energy.
- Dilute and apply to temples to help reduce head tension.
- Mix with Ylang Ylang and Frankincense for an intoxicating personal fragrance.
- Diffuse to promote uplifting energy.
- Diffuse to promote focus and alertness.
- Add 3-4 drops to dryer balls for a toxin-free scent on clothes.
- Add a few drops to Epsom salts in the bath to promote relaxation to the mind, but an alerting response to the body
Where to buy Lemongrass Essential Oil
We are a certified doTERRA shop. Purchase Lemongrass essential oil here with confidence that you are receiving unadulterated therapeutic grade essential oil.
doTERRA Lemongrass essential oil 15ml
doTERRA Lemongrass essential oil is a favorite oil for massages, great at repelling mosquitos and bugs, and wonderful for support aching joints, ligaments and tendons.
Related: More Essential Oil Benefits and Uses articles:
Before You Go, See What’s New On The Blog
- 8 Best Essential Oils for Stress Relief & Relaxation
- Simple Homemade Lavender Rosemary Infused DIY Soap Recipe
- How to get started with Meditation
- Best Essential Oils for Meditation, Diffuser Blends & Recipes
- Balancing Chakras with Essential Oils
- 5 Essential Oil Roller Bottle Blend Recipes for Calming and Relaxation