Homemade Aromatherapy Play Dough
Entertain your kids by turning play time into learning time by making homemade aromatherapy play dough! This activity is a great way for children to learn about aromatherapy and essential oils. Use a variety of oils and colors to help kids learn new scents.
Your kids may enjoy choosing the scents for themselves. Set a few bottles out and let them smell and choose what they would like to use.
Or, if you've had it up to here and need a mom minute, just use Lavender and mellow those little monsters right down!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup salt
- 4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil (coconut oil works too)
- Food coloring, optional
- doTERRA Oils of your choice
- Quart sized bags
- Stir together the flour, salt, and cream of tartar in a large pot.
- Next, add the water and oil. If you’re only making one color, add in the color now as well.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly. Continue stirring until the dough has thickened and begins to form into a ball. Don't overcook or it will become too dry.
- Remove from heat and then place inside a gallon sized bag or onto wax paper or parchment paper.
- Allow to cool slightly and then knead until smooth.
- If you’re adding colors after, divide the dough into balls (for how many colors you want) and then add the dough into the quart sized bags. Start with about 5 drops of color and add more to brighten it.
- Knead to spend evenly.
- Do the same with your oils. Start with 5-10 drops and add more if needed. Once it’s all mixed together you’re ready to PLAY.
Store the play dough inside the bags once done to keep soft. Keeps for up to 3+ months.
Choose your essential oils carefully - most are not what they seem.
Why doTERRA and not something from Amazon or Walmart?
Did you know that most essential oils at drugstores are synthetic fragrance only? And did you know that most oils on Amazon, even doTERRA, are adulterated (tampered with and diluted with coconut oil), and can't be trusted?
I choose to use doTERRA essential oils. They are the purest, highest quality and only brand I trust to use for my family. Find out Why I LOVE doTERRA here. It's not only just for their fabulous essential oils. It's for their sustainability and the way they work hand in hand with the farmers and communities who grow the plants.
Before you go, check out some of my Recent Blog Posts
* Keep in mind that I may receive commissions when you click my links and make purchases. However, this does not impact my reviews and comparisons. I have used and purchased all of these items myself and would never recommend something I haven't tried. I try my best to keep things fair and balanced, in order to help you make the best choice for you.