- Ginger essential oil has powerful benefits and its uses are many.
- History of Ginger Oil
- Where does Ginger Essential Oil come from
- Health Benefits of Ginger Oil
- Spiritual and Emotional Benefits of Ginger
- Ginger Essential Oil blends well with these essential oils
- How to Use Ginger Essential Oil
- 30 ways you can use Ginger essential oil to get its benefits.
- Ginger Essential Oil Diffuser Blends
- Where to Buy doTERRA Ginger Essential Oil
- Delicious recipes that use Ginger Oil
Ginger essential oil has powerful benefits and its uses are many.
In this article, you’ll learn the benefits of Ginger essential oil, how to use it, and get a list of 30 easy ways you can use it. If you are a fan of Ginger essential oil, you’ll love this list of 30 ways to use it!
Widely known for adding spice and flavor to many popular dishes, the ginger root has a variety of benefits and uses that reach far beyond the culinary realm.
History of Ginger Oil
Hot, spicy, earthy, and sweet, Ginger is the world’s most widely cultivated spice and people have been enjoying it’s benefits for over 5,000 years.
A relative of Cardamom and turmeric, ginger is native to Southeast Asia, where it’s popularly used as a digestive tonic and a featured ingredient in curries, soups and stir-fries.
Traditional Chinese health practices suggest ginger for its warming and stimulating effects, while Ayurvedic practices focus on Ginger’s digestive benefits.
In ancient Greece, people ate thin slices of ginger wrapped in bread to aid digestion. In Europe, this idea evolved into grating the ginger rhizome into the bread dough, and gingerbread was born. During the Middle Ages, gingerbread guilds controlled the production of this valuable sweet, which was enjoyed for its flavor as well as its ability to support healthy digestion.*
The primary constituent of ginger is Zingiberene, which has been researched for its ability to reduce bloating.* doTERRA Ginger essential oil is distilled from ginger plants that are grown and harvested in Madagascar.
This oil delivers antioxidant protection and is one of the best natural remedies to help reduce bloating, gas, and occasional indigestion.*
Experimental research has shown that Ginger essential oil has beneficial digestive effects when taken internally.*
Ginger essential oil has warming and soothing properties that make it useful in everyday life.
doTERRA’s Ginger Essential oil is sourced from the underground stem of the ginger plant.
Where does Ginger Essential Oil come from
doTERRA Ginger essential oil comes from root of the zingiber officinale herb that is distilled fresh, shortly after harvest. This results in a preferred, chemical and aromatic profile to other essential oils distilled from fully dried roots.
doTERRA sources their essential oil from Madagascar and Indonesia.
Fun fact: It takes approximately 1 pound of ginger root to produce one bottle, or 15ml, of essential oil.
Health Benefits of Ginger Oil
Ginger essential oil has a long list of health benefits. Here are a few of ginger oil’s main benefits:
- Weight Loss
- Pain, inflammation, swelling in joints
- Indigestion, gas, nausea, bloating, diarrhea
- Morning Sickness
- Increase Libido
Taken internally, doTERRA Ginger essential oil can be used to ease occasional nausea and aid in digestion.*
Spiritual and Emotional Benefits of Ginger
Each essential oil has an emotion that it is known for.
Ginger is known as the Oil of Empowerment.
Use ginger when you would like to feel more:
Ginger Essential Oil blends well with these essential oils
- Blue Tansy
- Star Anise
How to Use Ginger Essential Oil
There are 3 different ways to use Ginger Essential oil
1. Take Ginger oil internally for motion sickness, nausea, indigestion, weight loss.
To take Ginger oil internally, add one to two drops in a glass of water, hot tea, or in a Veggie Capsule. Ginger is also a favorite addition to recipes, and, in many cases, can be used in place of dried or fresh ginger.
2. Apply Ginger oil topically where needed for pain or inflammation.
Ginger offers powerful anti-inflammatory properties. Topical Use is a very effective way to get the benefits of the oil and is great for sore muscles, menstrual cramps and general muscle aches. Topical application can an effect natural treatment for these.
To apply Ginger essential oil topically, add 1 or 2 drops to the palm of your hand. For best results, dilute with a dime or quarter size drop of carrier oil such as fractionated coconut oil or jojoba oil. You can use a greater dilution rate if you have sensitive skin or for young or elderly.
Then, apply directly to areas of concern, such as a sore knee or inflamed joint.
3. Use Ginger Oil Aromatically (smell)
Ginger has a wonderful spicy scent. This means simply to receive the benefits of Ginger essential oil by smelling the oil. See the section above for the emotional benefits of Ginger Essential Oil. Diffuse Ginger essential oil to get the emotional benefits. See below for diffuser blend suggestions.
30 ways you can use Ginger essential oil to get its benefits.
- Diffuse to enhance spiritual awareness and state of calm.
- Gargle with warm water to soothe a dry, scratchy, irritated, raw throat.
- Apply over lower abdomen for a soothing massage.
- Use a drop in your favorite sweet OR savory dish.
- During a long car ride along windy roads, diffuse or place a drop in the palm of your hand and inhale to help prevent and alleviate nausea.
- For low libido, apply one to two drops to the feet or lower abdomen.
- Rub a drop on your stomach to reduce bloating from gas and indigestion.
- Diffuse for added energy in late afternoons.
- Place 2 drops with 8 oz of hot water to help relieve digestive upset.
- Apply to chest to break up congestion.
- Apply topically to abdomen to reduce menstrual discomfort.
- To improve blood circulation and heart health, rub one to two drops of ginger essential oil over the heart twice daily.
- For muscle and joint pain, rub two to three drops of the oil on the needed area twice daily.
- To boost mood and feelings of courage, add two to three drops to a diffuser or inhale twice daily.
- For nausea, diffuse two to three drops of ginger oil or apply one to two drops over the stomach.
- To aid digestion and get rid of toxins, add two to three drops of ginger oil to warm bath water.
- To relieve respiratory conditions, add one drop of ginger essential oil to green tea twice daily.
- Apply to pulse points throughout the day to help you feel empowered and capable.
- Add a drop to your sushi.
- Take a drop internally to help boost the immune system.
- Take internally to promote healthy digestion.
- Inhale from palms for memory support.
- Dilute and apply topically to help with muscle discomfort.
- Diffuse to improve mood from apathetic to activated.
- Add a drop or two to a glass with warm water to improve loss of appetite.
- Take internally as needed to reduce alcohol cravings.
- To soothe the throat, dilute and apply gently over the area.
- Apply topically to wrists to reduce feelings of nausea.
- Diffuse 3-6 drops to promote clear breathing.
- Apply 1-2 drops to bottoms of feet to boost the immune system.
- Take internally to calm heartburn & re-flux.
- Diffuse to feel optimistic and empowered.
- Diffuse to create a sense of equilibrium.
- Diffuse to help improve a negative mood and low libido.
Ginger Essential Oil Diffuser Blends
Diffusing essential oils is a wonderfully effective way to receive the benefits of an essential oil. Not to mention how amazing your home, office, or car will smell.
Below are 6 yummy diffuser blends that feature Ginger Essential Oil which will help create a balanced, grounded feeling, and atmosphere.
Pin for later
Where to Buy doTERRA Ginger Essential Oil
doTERRA Ginger Essential Oil is the highest quality Ginger Oil on the market.
You can buy doTERRA Ginger by clicking to add it to your cart below.
We are a doTERRA Certified Shop
Delicious recipes that use Ginger Oil
Here are a few recipes that call for Ginger Essential Oil in them. Be sure to use an essential oil that is safe for internal consumption – like doTERRA’s. The oil bottle will have a supplements facts label on it if it is safe to eat or drink it.
Make yourself a Golden Milk Latte with Turmeric and Ginger for the ultimate in reducing inflammation!
Related: More Essential Oil Spotlight articles:
Discover the benefits of the essential oils and how to use them. Plus snag a free printable checklist.
Save this to your Pinterest Board so you can refer back to it later
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease. Pregnant women should consult their doctor before using.
Before You Go, See What’s New On The Blog