11 Homemade Essential Oil Bath Bombs
Bath bombs are a fun way to enjoy the benefits of essential oils and make a bath (or even shower!) extra special! KIDS LOVE THESE!! My son especially loves helping to make the bath bombs, picking out which essential oils to use, and then, of course, using them. Making the bath bombs is a fun activity for us to do together.
Making homemade bath bombs sound intimidating but they are not that hard. Even better, there are no bad chemicals in these all natural DIY Bath Bombs. These contain only natural, pure ingredients, and essential oils, so you know what you are soaking in.
Add Dried Flowers to your Bath Bombs
Some fun items you can add to your bath bombs are dried flowers like Lavender or Rose petals. Just put a pinch in the bottom part of the mold before adding the bath bomb mixture.
Add Colors to your Bath Bombs
Many people like to add fun colors to their bath bombs. You'll want to use safe colors, not food dye. Food Dye will stain your tub and your skin. No one wants to come out of their tub green.
Want your bath bomb to look like a rainbow bomb like those at Lush? It's easy. You'll want to divide your mixture into several different bowls. Dye each bowl's mixture a different color. Then layer some of the mixture from each bowl into your molds. One layer at a time.
How to Make Your Bath Bombs
First, gather all your ingredients.
You'll probably have some of these items already in your kitchen pantry, but most people probably don't normally have citric acid laying around. I buy mine on Amazon. I also buy my fractionated coconut oil there.
- 1 cup (250ml) citric acid
- 1 cup (225ml) baking soda
- ½ cup (125ml) cornstarch/cornflour
- ½ cup (125ml) Fractionated Coconut Oil
- 8–10 drops of your favorite essential oil*
Here's 11 essential oil blend combo ideas:
The essential oils add a heavenly scent to your bath boms. You can customize which essential oil you use based on your own preference. Use Lavender essential oil for calming before bedtime, or a citrus like Grapefruit essential oil for a more energizing scent. I have 11 blen
Get creative with your essential oils! Essential oil combinations are fun and smell fantastic. For example, Lemon Lavender is one of my favorites. See my blends below for more inspiration for your bath bombs. Comment and let me know your favorite!
Now that you have all your ingredients, dried flowers, coloring, and essential oils gathered, you're ready to make your bath bombs.
Instructions to assemble and make your bath bombs
- Place citric acid, baking soda, corn-starch, and oil in a bowl.
- Add eight to 10 drops of the essential oil or blend of choice.
- Mix well with spoon until soft dough is formed. It should have the consistency of damp sand. Note: If the mixture is too wet, try adding a little more baking soda and cornstarch until consistency is correct.
- At this point, this is where you'll add coloring, dried herbs or flower petals to mixture. I like these colors because they are non staining and safe.
- Place mixture in molds. For a nice basic round bath bomb like in the picture above, you'll want to use this type of mold. If possible let the mixture sit in the mold for 24 hours before removing from mold. You can also use silicon molds. You don't need to stick to traditional round bath bombs. There are lots of fun shapes. I love these super cute heart molds! In a pinch, you can even use an ice cube tray.
- To use, drop in tub or shower and allow to dissolve.
Leave a comment and let me know how yours turned out !
Get a doTERRA starter kit and save over 25%! Choose your starter kit to get started.
Questions? I have answers!
Fill out this form and I'll get back to you. Please allow 24 hours for responses.
Before you go, check out some of my Recent Blog Posts
* Keep in mind that I may receive commissions when you click my links and make purchases. However, this does not impact my reviews and comparisons. I have used and purchased all of these items myself and would never recommend something I haven't tried. I try my best to keep things fair and balanced, in order to help you make the best choice for you.