What is Earth Day?
Earth Day is an annual event that takes place on April 22. It was first celebrated in 1970 and it has been observed every year since then.
Earth Day is a day to appreciate the Earth’s natural environment and to encourage people to help protect it. Earth Day is also a time for people to learn about how they can work together to solve environmental problems such as climate change, air pollution, water contamination, and loss of biodiversity.
Earth Day was first celebrated in 1970 when 20 million Americans came together across the country on April 22nd for teach-ins, rallies and marches. The idea of Earth Day was conceived by Senator Gaylord Nelson of Wisconsin who wanted to create a national event that would help raise awareness about the need for environmental protection.
What Can You do to celebrate Earth Day?
Did you know that recycling just one aluminum can saves enough energy to power a TV for 3 hours? Or that planting a tree absorbs almost 10 pounds of carbon dioxide from the air?
You may already be doing a lot to live sustainably and help the earth. Here’s a quick list of a few things that are simple and easy to do every day. I encourage you to try something new and make it a part of your daily life!
- Recycle – keep a separate trash can in your garage, under the sink or somewhere easily accessible and put all your plastic containers, cardboard food boxes, shipping boxes, etc. in here.
- Use less water – ex: turn off the water while brushing your teeth or washing dishes
- Recycle your old electronics and batteries
- Plant a tree in your backyard or someone else’s backyard
- Pick up litter from your neighborhood.
- Plant a few vegetables that you can use to feed your family this summer.
- Use energy saving light bulbs in your home and office.
- Compost food scraps instead of throwing them away (use it as fertiliezer for #6).
- Buy recycled or up-cycled products when possible
- Switch to recycled/sustainable paper towels / toilet paper (kinda goes with #10)
- Recycle your essential oil bottles & packaging. Don’t toss them in the trash. Refer back to #1. These can be recycled with your glass!
Earth Day Essential Oil Diffuser Blends
Celebrate Earth Day by ditching candles which can be very polluting to the air in your home. Use an essential oil diffuser for clean, healthy air.
Need a Diffuser?
Here are the top rated diffusers on Amazon with free Prime Shipping:
Before You Go, See What’s New On The Blog
- DIY Massage Oil with Essential Oil for Valentines Day
- Best Essential Oil Storage Ideas – How and Where to Store your Oils
- Benefits and 30 Ways to Use Frankincense Essential oil
- 10 Best Essential Oil Hair Care DIY Recipes for natural, healthy hair
- Essential Oil Hair Growth Serum Recipe
- 10 Warm and Spicy Cassia Essential Oil Diffuser Blends and DIY Recipes