Homemade Aromatherapy Playdough
Entertain your kids by turning play time into learning time by making your own easy aromatherapy playdough!
This activity is a great way for children to learn about aromatherapy and essential oils and how they respond to different essential oils.
This is also a wonderful sensory activity since kids will get senses of smell and touch. There is something so therapeutic and calming in kneading the playdough.
Use a variety of oils and colors in your playdough to help kids learn new scents. I recommend putting a few essential oil choices out, and letting your child smell and choose the scent(s) they would like to use. You'll find that kids (and adults) will be drawn to the oils they they are needing which will most benefit them emotionally. It is a powerful way our brain tells us what we need.
However, as a mom of 2 crazy boys, I can also tell you that Serenity or Wild Orange are both amazing choices because they are super calming and can be that sanity saver you need. Need a few minutes of peace and quite to regain some sanity? Want your kiddos to mellow out? This is a great sneaky way to achieve that state of mind.
You can also divide the dough up into multiple batches and dye and scent each batch differently!
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups colored water
- 1 cup salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 5 drops of essential oils. Set out a few oils and let your child choose what they would like to use.
Some fun kid-friendly essential oil recommendations are:
- Combine all ingredients, except for essential oils, in a large saucepan and stir until combined.
- Once combined, put over medium heat. Using a spatula, continue to stir ingredients together until it forms a ball. Note: Don’t overcook as it will lead to dry play dough.
- Remove from heat and cool on parchment paper.
- Once cool, add five drops of your favorite essential oil and knead until thoroughly combined.
- You’re done! Just store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for months of fun.
Ready to purchase essential oils for this recipe? I choose to use doTERRA essential oils. They are the purest, highest quality, and only brand I trust to use for my family. Higher quality and purity means higher therapeutic benefit, and they actually cost only a few cents per drop!