DIY Essential Oil Reed Diffuser with Essential Oil Blends
Learn how to make your own DIY Reed Diffuser with essential oils. Who doesn't love those pretty reed diffuser sticks? They look great on a bathroom counter, in the living room or anywhere else you need a cute decoration,
I've always been a fan, but never liked the chemicals store bought versions put out. The heavy perfume always gives me a headache.
It is so easy to make your own DIY Reed Diffuser with essential oils that pure and natural, and are good for you!
This easy DIY Reed diffuser is great to have at home, in the office, at school, or anywhere you want a fresh clean scent.
Another great thing about this DIY project, is that you can re-purpose any container or vase. Grab a cute vase or mason jar, and this makes a super cute, decorative, and inexpensive project. You'll save a ton of money instead of spending $30 on one of these at the store.
I've got some fabulous blend recipes down below for when you are ready to refill your reed diffuser.
What Kind of Essential Oil to Use For Your DIY Reed Diffuser.
When you use pure, natural essential oil for your reed diffuser, you are improving the air quality in your home. Instead of pumping out chemical filled toxins, the essential oil will do some amazing things for you:
- help kill any airborne germs floating around
- give you some amazing emotional and mood boosting benefits
- Will make your living room, bedroom, or bathroom smell fabulous (I'm a mom of 2 boys - can you imagine what their bathroom smells like!)
Synthetic chemical oil refill can cause headaches, breathing issues, and all kinds of other bad for us side effects, especially for small children. There's a ton of research out there on how bad for us these artificial scents are.
For this reason, when you choose an essential oil for your reed diffuser it's so important to choose a true, high quality essential oil. Not a $3.95 bottle from Walmart because that is not essential oil. It is a synthetic perfume fragrance. Surprised? There's a ton of research out there, and testing results on these so-called essential oils. Hit me up and I'm happy to point you in the right direction so you can see for yourself.
It's a topic I'm passionate about because when these are used on our bodies and in the air, they can do more harm than good.
Directions for DIY Reed Diffuser with Oil
It's super easy to make your own DIY Reed Diffuser and only takes a couple minutes to put it together.
- 1/4 cup Fractionated Coconut Oil, Jojoba Oil, Grapeseed Oil, or any other type of oil. I don't recommend Olive because of the strong scent.
- 15 drops of your favorite essential oils (see the recipe & blends below)
- Reed diffuser sticks
- Put your Coconut Oil and essential oils into glass container.
- Add reed diffuser sticks.
- You're done! It may take up to a day for the essential oil blend to make it's way up the diffuser for you to smell.
Tip: Flip each reed every 2-3 days for a stronger aroma and maximize the essential oils by making it last longer.
Note: You can purchase reed diffuser sticks at most craft stores like Hobby Lobby, and our trusty friend Amazon carries them.
I bought this pack of 100 for under $6.99. That's clearly going to last me a while. Since I have so many, I might make some teacher's gifts with them.
Essential Oil Blends & Recipes for your DIY Reed Diffuser
Here are a few blends and recipe ideas for your DIY Reed diffuser. These can be used to refill your diffuser when the oils start to run low.
There are several pre-made Blends from doTERRA that don't need anything extra. You'll love these just as they are:
Elevation (smells like a spa to me)
Choose your essential oils carefully - most are not what they seem.
Why doTERRA and not something from Amazon or Walmart?
Did you know that most essential oils at drugstores are synthetic fragrance only? And did you know that most oils on Amazon, even doTERRA, are adulterated (tampered with and diluted with coconut oil), and can't be trusted?
I choose to use doTERRA essential oils. They are the purest, highest quality and only brand I trust to use for my family. Find out Why I LOVE doTERRA here. It's not only just for their fabulous essential oils. It's for their sustainability and the way they work hand in hand with the farmers and communities who grow the plants.
Before you go, check out some of my Recent Blog Posts
* Keep in mind that I may receive commissions when you click my links and make purchases. However, this does not impact my reviews and comparisons. I have used and purchased all of these items myself and would never recommend something I haven't tried. I try my best to keep things fair and balanced, in order to help you make the best choice for you.