Where does Arborvitae Essential Oil Come From
Arborvitae essential oil is extracted from the wood of the arborvitae tree.
An arborvitae tree can live for hundreds of years. In fact, the word arborvitae in Latin means “tree of life” – named for its health benefits and usefulness as a building material.
The arborvitae tree is an evergreen coniferous tree that grows in North America, Europe, and Asia. Its botanical name is Thuja occidentalis. Arborvitae essential oil has been used for centuries as a natural remedy for various ailments such as arthritis, rheumatism, muscle pain, and respiratory problems.
Arborvitae trees are native to the pacific northwest of North America, Europe, and Asia. They are also found in parts of South America and Africa. The arborvitae tree is a coniferous evergreen that can grow up to 50 feet tall.
Historically, Native Americans used the arborvitae tree for many practical purposes. The wood was used for building vessels, totem poles, and homes. The roots and bark could be used to make other items like baskets, rope, and twine. The Western Red Cedar was ideal for these kinds of projects due to its chemical makeup and natural preservative properties that protect the tree from damage. These same properties contribute to the wonderful benefits of Arborvitae essential oil.
doTERRA sources their essential oil from the heartwood of the Thuja plicata tree, which is also known as the Western Red Cedar.
The Western Red Cedar was ideal for these kinds of projects due to its chemical makeup and natural preservative properties that protect the tree from damage. These same properties contribute to the wonderful benefits of Arborvitae essential oil.
Arborvitae trees can be found in northwestern united states.
doTERRA has special sourcing arrangements in place so that they can source their essential from residual wood materials to make sure they are sourcing in an ethical and environmentally responsible way. They do not want to down more trees just for the purpose of extracting essential oil.
Benefits of Arborvitae Essential Oil
Arborvitae essential oil offers many unique benefits.
- It is a natural insect repellent
- Arborvitae has natural preserving properties which makes it a wonderful wood preservative.
- It is a natural purifying agent and can be used as an effective cleanser.
- It can help your body fight off environmental and seasonal threats from pollens.
- It can help promote clear, healthy looking skin
Emotional Benefits of Arborvitae Essential Oil
Arborvitae essential oil is known as the oil of divine grace.
It can bring on feelings of peace when used.
Using Arborvitae essential oil can help bring out the positive emotions of:
- feeling composed
Use Arborvitae essential oil if you are feeling any of these negative Emotions:
- lonely efforts
To receive the emotional benefits of Arborvitae essential oil, Apply 1-2 drops on your forehead, over your solar plexus, or on bottoms of feet.
Essential Oil Blends with Arborvitae
Arborvitae DIY Recipes
One of my favorite ways to use Arborvitae is to make my own natural wood polish. This Wood Polish DIY is fabulous if you need to clean wood furniture, and for restoring and protecting natural wood surfaces. It has a unique preservation ability and can help improve the quality of your wood furniture.
The homemade solution is easy to make and has no harmful chemicals in it or artificial fragrances, unlike most commercial wood polishes. Click here for the full recipe to make your own household spray.
Arborvitae is also wonderful as a fresh cologne scent for men. Make your own musky outdoor cologne using this recipe, or make a beard oil. Click here for great cologne DIY recipes with a wonderful woodsy scent.
Arborvitae Diffuser Blends
Just add the number of drop of arborvitae oil along with the other oils to your diffuser of choice, fill it to the fill line with water, and let it run to enjoy arborvitae oil’s aroma.
Arborvitae Roller Recipes
Checklist – 33 Ways to Use Arborvitae Oil
- Diffuse to enhance spiritual awareness and state of calm.
- Apply topically to bottoms of feet or spine with FCO for bacterial support. Apply topically under the nose and to the back of the neck to stimulate the nervous system.
- Apply topically to chest with FCO to help with respiratory issues.
- Diffuse to repel bugs and insects.
- Apply topically with lavender to troubled skin.
- Apply topically or diffuse to fight fungal issues.
- Mix 4 drops with 2 drops of Lemon essential oil for a natural wood preservative and polish.
- Use during meditation for a sense of peace and calm.
- Massage over the energy centers of the body for emotional balance.
- Massage a drop over the throat and chest every few hours for respiratory support.
- For control issues, diffuse as desired or massage topically over the solar plexus and heart.
- Add a few drops to a spray bottle with water and spray on surfaces or hands to protect against
- environmental threats.
- Apply to pulse points to promote healthy cell function.
- Diffuse to purify the air inside the home.
- Mix into mulch when gardening to keep away pests.
- Diffuse the INTO THE WOODS Blend (1 drop each: Arborvitae, Cedarwood, and Frankincense)
- Diffuse the IMMUNE BOOSTER Blend (3 drops Arborvitae and 2 drops Cassia)
- Diffuse the FIRE GLOW Blend (1 drop Arborvitae, 2 drops Spearmint, 1 drop Cassia)
- Inhale to emotionally allow grace into your life.
- Mix with Oregano & Melaleuca and apply topically for immune support.
- Apply it topically to the skin to reduce the appearance of blemishes.
- Mix with water and tangerine to create a powerful cleansing agent.
- Add to a skin lotion or moisturizer to promote healthy, glowing skin.
- Apply to your wrists and ankles before and during a hike.
- Apply 1-2 drops to the bottoms of feet to address internal threats.
- Diffuse to allow grace into your life.
- Diffuse with Oregano and Melaleuca to support the immune system.
- Mix with FCO and apply topically on sternum to help reduce fearful feelings.
- Create a SUPER BOOSTER Roller for the immune system. (15 drops OnGuard, 10 drops
- Arborvitae, 5 drops Frankincense)
- Rub Arborvitae over the heart and heart-reflexes and repeat positive affirmations.
- Apply to diffuser necklace or bracelet to feel grounded.
More Essential Oil Spotlights You May Like
Before You Go, See What’s New On The Blog
- 10 Best Essential Oil Hair Care DIY Recipes for natural, healthy hair
- Essential Oil Hair Growth Serum Recipe
- 10 Warm and Spicy Cassia Essential Oil Diffuser Blends and DIY Recipes
- Halloween Pumpkin Diffuser + Diffuser Blends
- 30 Arborvitae Essential Oil Uses, Diffuser Blends, and Recipes
- Autumn Diffuser Blends