Learn how to use Cinnamon Essential Oil and get a checklist with 35 specific ways to incorporate it into your daily routine.
What spice could be more valuable than Gold? You guessed it. Cinnamon was once consider to be more valuable than Gold. In Egypt, Cinnamon was desired for certain practices such as embalming and even witchcraft.
Cinnamon comes from a tropical, evergreen tree that can grow up to 45 feet high.The tree has highly fragrant bark, leaves, and flowers.Cinnamon Bark essential oil is extracted from the bark of the tree.
Health Benefits of Cinnamon Essential Oil
- Improves Blood Sugar Levels
- Good for cardiovascular health
- Weight Loss
- Immune System
- Can repel insects
- Is a warming oil so is good for cold, achy joints, especially in the winter
- Can be used as an effective natural cleaner
Emotional Benefits of Cinnamon Essential Oil
Cinnamon Bark Oil is known as the Oil of Sexual Harmony. The essential oil can help you nurture a healthy sexuality and find security in your relationships.
Cinnamon essential oil can help with negative feelings of:
- body shame
- sexual issues
The oil can help bring about the positive emotions of:
- feeling accepted
Essential Oils that Blend Well with Cinnamon Bark Essential Oil
Cinnamon Essential Oil is wonderful in the diffuser. Try Blending different essential oils together to come up with a favorite diffuser blend. Cinnamon Bark essential oil blends well with:
- Black Pepper
- Wild Orange
- Tea Tree (Melaleuca)
- Ylang Ylang
Diffuser Blends Featuring Cinnamon Essential Oil
Pin for later
Is Cinnamon Oil Safe to Ingest?
Along with many other essential oils, Cinnamon oil is found on the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) generally recognized as safe (GRAS) list, which permits the use of certain essential oils for use in food products. Every substance found on this list has a well-documented history of safe use.
You can see the full list of doTERRA GRAS essential oils on the FDA website
Here are two delicious recipes featuring Cinnamon Essential Oil.
Cinnamon Apple Chips Recipe
Energy Balls Recipe with Cinnamon essential oil
Cinnamaldehyde is what gives Cinnamon it’s color and health benefits
Cinnamaldehyde is the main chemical compound in Cinnamon oil that contributes to the health benefits of Cinnamon Bark oil. Cinnamaldehyde is also found in Cassia essential oil – a close cousin of Cinnamon.
Where Cinnamon Oil comes from and how it impacts the farmer’s families.
doTERRA is known for their positive impact in the communities where they source their essential oils and Cinnamon is no exception.
Many of doTERRA’s Cinnamon Bark farmers have groves of cinnamon trees on their land that have been there for generations. Families care for the groves, helping to keep them healthy and strong for future generations.
Cinnamon trees grow all year long and must grow for three to five years before they can be harvested for the bark. After harvest, the tree sends out a new shoot from the stump. The little shoot grows into a new tree that can be harvested again in another three to five years.
After the tree is cut, the leaves are removed, and the bark is stripped by hand from the trunk and the branches. The bark is where the essential oil comes from.
After the bark has been stripped, it is put on mats to dry in the sun for two to three days. Then, it is bagged in for collection. Some of the bark is sold to be distilled and some is saved to make powder to be sold on the spice market. Any leftover wood is sold as firewood.
A Boat Ride Down the Canals Takes Us to a Distillery
Terrain surrounding the Cinnamon Bark harvesting areas is challenging to navigate and only accessible by foot, motorcycle, or sometimes boat. Some areas are quite steep, others prone to flooding, and there are often multiple rivers to cross.
Once cinnamon bark reaches the distillery, it must first soak for 24 to 48 hours. It’s important for the bark to soak, otherwise the oil yield will be low during the distillation. After soaking, the cinnamon bark is steam distilled, which can take anywhere from eight to ten hours to finish.
Supporting Smallholder Farmers
Near the distillery lives a small family. Together, they run a nursery where they cultivate plants like cinnamon trees and clove. Small scale farmers like this family are the ones bringing this oil to the market. We are proud to partner with local families to provide 100% pure and natural products from their source to you.
The above is an excerpt from doTERRA’s sourcing stories.
Here is a video showing how Cinnamon Bark essential oil is sourced and brought to us.
35 Ways to Use Cinnamon Essential Oil
Note: Please use caution when using cinnamon essential oil topically as it is a “hot” oil and can burn if not diluted properly with a carrier oil such as fractionated coconut oil.
- Take 1-2 drops in a capsule to help balance blood sugar
- Apply 1 drop diluted to limbs for warming and increased blood flow.
- Gargle 1 drop in water to promote oral health.
- Take 1 drop in a capsule for hormone support and balance.
- Diffuse for emotional balance; to get from Denied to Receptive.
- Diffuse the STUDY BLEND: 4 drops Cinnamon Bark, 3 drops Peppermint, 2 drops Rosemary
- Add to your favorite baking recipe for a spicy twist.
- Add 1-2 drops to water to promote alkalinity.
- Swish a drop with water as mouthwash.
- Put 2 drops in empty veggie capsule to maintain a healthy immune system.
- Diffuse the WELLNESS BLEND: 3 drops Cinnamon Bark, 2 drops Eucalyptus, 2 drops Motivate
- Put 2–3 drops in a spray bottle for a quick and effective cleaning spray.
- Dilute with FCO and create a warming massage.
- Place 1 drop in hot water or tea and drink slowly to soothe your irritated throat.
- Take 1 drop internally to support healthy metabolic function.
- Place 1 drop on your toothbrush and then add toothpaste.
- Diffuse the SNICKERDOODLES BLEND: 3 drops Cinnamon Bark, 3 drops Clove, 3 drops Ginger
- Use 1 drop heavily diluted in massage to help promote a healthy sex drive.
- Mix with FCO and massage feet to help promote healthy circulatory function.
- Add 20 drops to a 2oz spray bottle of water to naturally repel insects.
- Add 1 drop to a vanilla Protein Shake.
- To soothe a sore throat, add a drop with lemon to a spoonful of local honey.
- Add 1 drop (or toothpick swirl) into your hot chocolate, coffee or tea for added flavor
- Inhale directly from bottle to help reduce feelings of jealousy.
- Apply mixture (2 drops each Cinnamon Bark, Coriander, and DigestZen) to FCO.Mix and then apply to feet starting at the heel and move up to toes.
- Add 1 drop to your morning oatmeal.
- Use Post Trauma Support blend on your feet daily to help return to a balanced state.(2 drops Cinnamon Bark, 3 drops Balance, 3 drops Geranium; add FCO to fill a 5ml roller)
- Wear a drop on a diffuser necklace to promote self esteem.
- Diffuse with Bergamot to promote body acceptance.
- To promote urinary tract health, take 1 drop with 1 drop black pepper in a capsule.
- Diffuse the APPLE PIE BLEND: 3 drops Douglas Fir, 2 drops Cinnamon, 3 drops Citrus Bliss
- Take 1 drop internally daily to help naturally boost heart health.
- Apply topically (heavily diluted) as a natural aphrodisiac.
- Take 1 drop internally to help prevent cravings and overeating.
- Combine 2 drops cinnamon oil with a tablespoon of coconut oil for a great DIY lip plumper.
Pin so you can find this again later
Related Articles: More ways to use Cinnamon Essential Oil
You may be interested in some of these articles that feature cinnamon essential oil.
Top 12 Essential Oils to Lose Weight – learn how you can use Cinnamon Essential Oil to lose weight
Cinnamon Pine Cones – Add essential oil to Pine Cones for a wonderful, natural home fragrance.
Related: More Essential Oil Spotlight articles
Before You Go, See What’s New On The Blog
- 8 Best Essential Oils for Stress Relief & Relaxation
- Simple Homemade Lavender Rosemary Infused DIY Soap Recipe
- How to get started with Meditation
- Best Essential Oils for Meditation, Diffuser Blends & Recipes
- Balancing Chakras with Essential Oils
- 5 Essential Oil Roller Bottle Blend Recipes for Calming and Relaxation